CROSS-COUNTRY TEAM WON

Defeated Yale Over New Chestnut Hill Course by 25 Points to 30.

The University cross-country team defeated Yale at Chestnut Hill yesterday afternoon by the score of 25 to 30. The teams were composed of ten men, the first five for each scoring according to the numerical order of their positions at the finish, and the team with the lower score winning. Jaques won by over 50 yards, in the remarkable time of 35 min. 18 sec.

The race started near the corner of Boylston street and Dunster road, the course running parallel to Boylston street towards Hammond's pond. At the car station it circled to the left into Woodland road, the one-mile mark being near the crossing of Woodland road and Heath street. At this point the men were still close together, the order of the leaders being, Spitzer, Lightner, Whitney, Wood, Haskell, Mann, Vilas, and Jaques. From there the course went through the woods to the right of the road until it reached the Warren farm, where it turned to the left, crossing the road. Here Lightner had the lead with Spitzer second, Jaques and Whitney being fifth and sixth respectively. From the Warren farm the course circled again to the left, crossing the Chestnut Hill golf links, and came into Dunster road, which it followed until the starting point was reached, from where the course was run over again. When the start was passed for the second time Jaques was ahead, with Whitney second, followed by Lightner, Dole, and Vilas. Jaques having gained the lead after passing Warren Hill. When the four-mile mark was passed Jaques had increased his lead, Lightner was second, Whitney having dropped back to third, closely followed by Dole. These four had a long lead over the rest of the men at this point, and constantly increased it during the remainder of the race. At the five-mile mark the order was the same, Jaques's lead being greater.

The order at the finish follows: H. Jaques, Jr., '11, 1; M. C. Lightner '09, Y., 2; M. H. Whitney '09, 3; R. E. Dole '10, 4; R. A. Spitzer '09, Y., 5; M. Weeks '09, Y., 6; M. B. Vilas '09, Y., 7; H. Y. Masten '10, 8; P. C. Heald '11, 9; A. C. Coney '09, Y., 10; E. F. Wood '09, Y., 11; W. P. Rogers '11, 12; L. Dean '09, Y., 13; G. Murphy '10, 14; R. L. Mann '09, Y., 15; E. Parson '11, 16; G. R. Harding '11, 17; A. M. Haskell '10, Y., 18; C. P. Howard '09, 19; J. A. Ingalls '10, Y., 20.