Good Speeches at 1912 Mass Meeting

At a mass meeting in Lower Massachusetts last evening, the Freshman class attended to the number of about 200, and showed splendid spirit and confidence in their team. A. G. Cable '09 led the cheering and introduced the speakers.

Mr. Garcelon made a stirring speech on the present system of developing the University teams. Formerly there was practically no connection between the work of one year and that of the next, or between the work of the different teams on the field at the same time. The same mistakes in coaching and management recurred regularly at intervals of three or four years. This year Coach Haughton has been present at the weekly meetings of all three coaching staffs, University, second team, and Freshman; and throughout the season there has been a further object in view than the development of a successful team this year,--the development of future University teams. Successful conduct of athletics means that every man in College should take part in them. It is not necessary to get on a University team to aid athletics, for each man pushes along the man ahead of him.

Coach Waterbury, of the Freshman team, expressed his appreciation of the work the team has done and said that, if Yale wins, it will be because or a better team and not of harder work. Captain Gaddis spoke of the parade yesterday afternoon and especially of the excellent treatment which the team has received from all concerned in its development. Everything has progressed without a hitch and throughout the season there has been perfect co-operation between team and coaches. The Yale freshmen outweigh Harvard, but speed and snap ought to overcome this disadvantage.