Norton Fellowship Theses Subjects

The subjects of theses and the rules governing the Charles Eliot Norton Fellowship for the current academic year are given below. The competition for this fellowship is open to Seniors and students in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and to Seniors and Graduate students at Radcliffe. The awards will be made on the grounds (1) of a thesis on an approved subject, and (2) of such other evidence of scholarship as may be accessible. The subjects announced for this year are as follows: 1. The Ethics of Pindar. 2. The Geography of Thucydides. 3. The Influence of Democracy on the character of Attic Oratory. 4. Plato's and Aristotle's Conception of the Art of Music in its Rela- tion to Education and Life. 5. Funeral Rites of Greek Poetry and Art of the Fifth Century: with a Study of Their Inner Significance. 6. The Evidence of the Intention of Pericles to Substitute Athena for Apollo as the National Divinity. 7. The Contributions of the Greek Epigraphy to Geographical Knowledge. 8. Proverbial Philosophy of Plato. Candidates may, with the consent of the committee, write on other classical subjects.

The incumbent of the fellowship must agree to pursue his studies, during the year to his incumbency at the American School of Classics at Athens. Applications for admission to candidacy must be made to Professor A. A. Howard, 12 Walker street, on or before next Tuesday; and theses must be submitted not later than March 1, 1909