1909 UPPERCLASS CHAMPIONS

Sophomores Defeated in Final Football Game Yesterday, 21 to 6.

The Seniors won the upperclass championship by defeating the Sophomores on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon by the score of 21 to 6. The Seniors displayed a more finished game and advanced the ball almost at will. The Sophomores played on the defensive during nearly all of the first half, and could gain only towards the end of the game when the Seniors put in a number of substitutes. For the Seniors, Cate at quarterback and Brooks and Hoffman in the backfield excelled, the latter scoring three touchdowns. R. C. Foster, Voshell, and Case, who made a 30-yard run for a touchdown, played well for the Sophomores. The feature of the game was Sheip's 90-yard run for a touchdown after he had intercepted a forward pass.

During the first half, the Seniors scored three touchdowns. After receiving the kick-off, they advanced the ball to the middle of the field. An onside kick, recovered by Remick, placed the ball on the 25-yard line, and on the next play Dana, receiving the ball from Cate on a forward pass, advanced it to the 1-yard line. Hoffman scored on the next play, and Jones kicked the goal. Soon after the next kick-off the Sophomores received the ball on downs, but were unable to gain and kicked to Brooks who ran the ball back to the 10-yard line. Hoffman scored in two plays, but Jones failed to kick the goal. After receiving the kick-off, the Sophomores fumbled and the Seniors recovered the ball on the 15-yard line. The third touchdown was soon made by Hoffman, but the try for goal failed. There was no scoring in the few remaining minutes of the half.

In the second half, the Sophomores received the kick-off and rushed the ball to the 25-yard line, where they kicked to the Seniors. The latter were held for downs, and on the next play Case advanced the ball to the 20-yard line by a long end run. On the following play Sheip intercepted a forward pass and ran the length of the field for a touchdown. Jones missed the goal. The Sophomores received the kick-off and advanced the ball to the 30-yard line, from which point Case scored just before the whistle blew. Voshell kicked the goal.

The summary: 1909.  1911. Dana, Bard, l.e.  r.e., Lewis, King Comstock, Piper, Page, McGillicuddy, l.t.  r.t., Webber Bowen, Lilly, l.g.  r.g., Hann, Strong, Ringe Goepper, Strauss, c.  c., Cotting, Blair Jones, Wentworth, Crandall, r.g.  l.g., Park Blanchard, Davis, r.t.  l.t., Kean Sheip, r.e.  l.e., Bloom, Ellis, Brown Cate, Evarts, Starring, q.b.  q.b., Voshell Brooks, Pickering, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Floyd, Heath Remick, Locker, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Burnham, Case Hoffman, Lee, f.b.  f.b., R. C. Foster, N. H. Foster

Score--1909, 21; 1911, 6. Touchdowns--Hoffman 3, Sheip, Case. Goals from touchdown--Jones, Voshell. Umpire--S. Galatti '10.