A MUCH NEEDED REFORM.

Last spring the CRIMSON took pains to bring before the undergraduates the question of how managers of athletic teams should be selected. A number of communications and editorials upon that subject were printed, and although there was a pretty general agreement that the present system of choosing managers is not satisfactory, there seemed to be no consensus of opinion as to a remedy. Since that discussion, however, a new organization has come into existence, the Student Council, and it seems proper to open the discussion again, this time with more hope of a speedy solution of the question.

The CRIMSON does not propose to enter here into the details of a system; it can only suggest what might be done. In the first place, the Student Council should have supervision of the whole competition, especially in regard to its duration and general character. It should have authority to exclude from the competition men who are not in sufficiently good academic standing. But most important of all, the final choice of the assistant manager should be made not by the manager who conducts the details of the competition, not by the members of the team which is to be managed, but by the Student Council.

It should be borne in mind that the Student Council is a representative institution whose interest is to look after the welfare of the whole undergraduate body. It is thus in the best position to make a selection which shall be for the interests of the team to be managed and at the same time entirely fair to all competitors for the position. Moreover, if such a plan were adopted, the existing managers of teams would be relieved of the unenviable burden of responsibility for the selection. Finally, there would result a uniform method of selection applicable to all teams and continuing from year to year.