GOVERNMENT OF DEPENDENCIES.

We have had the pros and cons of the Philippine question thoroughly threshed out for our edification in the Union and now we are ready for Porto Rico. There have been happenings of interest and importance here as well during these first years of our territorial expansion movement and it is well to hear of them at first hand. In spite of the articles which appear in the magazines from time to time on the condition of affairs in these new dependencies they are probably little understood and appreciated by the average citizen. A long, carefully prepared magazine article though well supplied with pictures will not generally succeed in giving as correct an idea of the situation and at the same time be as interesting as a lecture delivered by a man who knows of what he speaks and is assisted in his explanations by stereopticon views.

Mr. Winthrop has had wide experience in this branch of government service. Both in the Philippines and in Porto Rico he has been in position to know the situation as it really exists and what is the best policy to pursue in the government and education of these peoples. His talk this evening should prove of interest to those who have followed at all the government's policy of expansion and who are interested in the insular possessions.