Fixed Price for Board at Memorial

The Board of Directors of Memorial Hall, believing that the fish and eggs system is not satisfactory to the members, offers as a substitute for it American board at a fixed price of $5 a week. The Corporation of the University will assist in the inauguration of this plan by remitting three-fourths of the sinking fund payments for at least two months. The Board of Directors has instructed the steward to serve meals at a price not exceeding $5 a week; and are confident that with the membership equal to the average attendance of the past two months the board can be kept at this figure without lowering the quality of food offered. The transient system will be continued. Coupons will be used for extra orders, and allowance will be made at the present rates for Sunday absence. The Directors propose to start on this plan when the Hall re-opens on January 4. A vote of the members on this proposition will be taken tomorrow during all three meals.

The adoption of the American plan at $5 a week will be practically a reversion to the plan under which the Hall was successfully conducted from 1875 to 1903, with allowance for the increase in the price of food since that time and for the cost of the improvements of 1904, when the Corporation advanced the money for the addition in which the kitchen and serving-room are located and for a renovation of the machinery.

The debt of the Hall at present is $162,117.44, and the repayment in the form of a sinking fund would amount this year to $7,407.88. It is three-fourths of this amount that the Corporation offers to remit. The interest on the debt this year is $7,295.28