DINNER TO FOOTBALL TEAM

Speakers Unanimous in Praising Captain Burr and Coach Haughton.

The dinner given by the Harvard Club of Boston to the football team last evening was largely attended. Between the courses both old and new songs were sung with spirit. J. W. Farley '99 introduced the speakers and J. W. Hallowell '01 and M. B. Lang '02 led the cheering and singing.

Dean Briggs expressed in the first speech of the evening the general satisfaction which is felt by all Harvard men in the football victory. Walter Camp is an acknowledged football expert who has developed a system of coaching which has drawn men of athletic ability from all parts of the country. This year Haughton has worsted him. Harvard has suffered lately from a reputation of inefficiency in athletics in everything except baseball. We cannot be accused of considering football the ultimate goal toward which to strive, but the real goal is the successful application of trained intelligence in everything; if we do not bring this about, people think something is wrong. We take satisfaction in Burr's staying out of the game for the good of the team, while the Yale Alumni Weekly criticizes Burch's playing as a mistake. In the extension of the coaching system we have laid a strong foundation for future victories. We must always bear in mind, however, that Yale, though never invincible, is always formidable.

In introducing Coach Haughton, the toastmaster emphasized the sacrifice he made to coach the team: when the committee appointed by Captain Burr first approached Haughton, he made two conditions upon which he would take charge of the football: first, that arrangements could be made enabling him to get away from his business; and second, that he should receive no compensation. It should be understood by all that he made this sacrifice with no other motive than loyalty.

Coach Haughton then explained what, in his opinion, were the chief factors in the success of the team. The coaching staff had entire charge of the individual instruction and their judgment and advice relieved him of many problems. Sixteen men in all assisted in the development of the team and each did so at a sacrifice. In speaking of Captain Burr, Haughton said "he is the bravest and most intelligent captain Harvard has ever had." He began his work the day he was elected and did not stop until after the Yale game. Another name must not be omitted, that of W. F. Garcelon, the real power which has made success possible. The team, however, won the game and to them the greatest praise is due.

At the close of Coach Haughton's speech, he was presented with a watch in token of the appreciation of the graduates for his work. Major Higginson presented all the members of the team with small gold footballs in memory of their victory.

In his speech Captain Burr expressed his appreciation of the support afforded the team by the undergraduate body, and laid stress upon their taking matters into their own hands in the organization of the Student Council at a time when a curtailment of intercollegiate contests seemed imminent.

W. F. Garcelon L.'95, graduate treasurer of athletics, made the final speech of the evening. He paid special tribute to the Freshman and second team coaches who worked as faithfully as those in charge of the University team. Dr. Nichols and Trainer Donovan also contributed largely to success. The highest praise is due to Burr and Haughton