DEBATING TEAM CHOSEN

University Debaters Against Princeton Selected.--Coolidge Prize Awarded.

At the final trials, held last night in Dane Hall, I. Dimond '09, H. Hurwitz '09 and I. L. Sharfman 1L., were chosen to constitute the team which will represent the University in the debate against Princeton next month. J. S. Davis '08, T. M. Gregory '10 and C. A. Small 1G., were retained for the second team, from which the alternate will be chosen. The Coolidge Prize of $100, for the best work in the series of three trials, was awarded to H. Hurwitz '08. The speaking was judged by S. Curtis '05, F. W. Dallinger '93, and R. W. Kelso '04. B. S. Pouzzner '09 acted as chairman.

The selection of the team last night was a matter of much difficulty to the judges, who discussed the relative merits of the speakers for an hour before they were able to reach a conclusion. The choice of the team rested upon the power of analysis and a thorough acquaintance with all the phases of the subject under consideration, and it is an interesting fact that all of the men chosen spoke on both sides of the question at the various trials. The awarding of the Coolidge Prize was also difficult, particularly as the competitors were unusually deserving.

The team chosen last night will meet Princeton in Cambridge on Friday, March 20, and will defend the negative of the question, "Resolved, That further material increases in the United States Navy are undesirable." The University team will be trained at a series of practice debates against the second team, and will be coached by R. W. Kelso '04.