VIVID LECTURE ON CONGO

Given in Union Last Night by Rev. Joseph Clark.--Petition Drawn.

Rev. Joseph Clark, for many years a missionary in Congo, gave a very interesting lecture in the Union last evening on the "Congo Reform Movement." The lecture was illustrated by the stereopticon, and the slides showing the dismembered victims of King Leopold's cruelty bore out the lecturer's testimony of the horrible atrocities committed.

The lecture began by making a distinction between the Upper and Lower Congo. The outrages are confined to the Upper Congo alone, which explains the many false reports by missionaries and others who have penetrated only the Lower Congo to the effect that they do not exist. Mr. Clark showed that the contention of Leopold that the exactions of tribute on the natives is for public improvements, is absurd. His sole aim is to drive the natives to their limit in gathering India rubber for his consumption, and the instances of cruelty on the part of soldiers to gain this end are barbarous beyond belief. Not only are their bodies mutilated, but they are frequently killed and eaten by the native soldiers in the employ of Leopold. The natives are not lazy, but on the contrary, most industrious when not tyrranized by native troops, and eagerly avail themselves of a chance for betterment.

After the lecture, Rev. H. F. Johnson '91, Who for two years past has toured the United States and been active at Washington in the interests of the "International Association for the Study of the Upper Congo" made and appeal to those present to join the association and urge their friends to do so, and to write personal letters on this subject to President Roosevelt.

Secretary Root has been actively interested in the conditions in the Congo, and Governor Curtis Guild '81, James J. Storrow '85 and Henry L. Higginson h.'82, are also supporters of this movement.

Besides the individual letters, a formal memorial will be sent to President Roosevelt. This will be an appeal to the United States government to take action in co-operation with England to afford protection to the natives of Congo in case the proposed annexation of the country by Belgium is carried into effect. This petition will be posted in the Union today, where it can be signed by all those who wish to do so.