CHANGE IN ATHLETIC COMM.

Three Deans to be Replaced by Members Appointed by Corporation

At the last meeting of the Corporation, the following vote was passed involving another change in the appointment of Faculty members to the Athletic Committee, as follows:

"To amend the standing rules and orders of the President and Fellows and the Board of Overseers concerning the regulation of athletic sports, as adopted by the President and Fellows at their meeting of march 11, 1997, and by the Board of Overseers at their meeting of March 13, 1907, by substituting the words 'three members of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences appointed by the Corporation with the consent of the Overseers' for the words 'the Dean of the faculty of arts and sciences, the dean of Harvard college, and the Dean of the Lawrence Scientific School, ex officiis'."

The new regulation for appointing Faculty members makes the selection of the Athletic Committee the same as it was before the report of the Committee appointed to investigate athletics appeared last march. It was on the recommendation of this committee that the original plan was rejected and the appointment of the three deans was substituted.

The official status of the Athletic Committee is set forth in the original vote of the President and Fellows, approved by the Overseers, by which the Committee was established:

"Voted, That a Committee for the Regulation of Athletic Sports shall hereafter be annually appointed and chosen as follows: three members of the University Faculties, and three graduates of the College--these six to be appointed by the Corporation with the consent of the Overseers; and also three undergraduates to be chosen for each College year during the first week in June of the preceding year, by the majority vote of the following students: the Presidents of the Senior, Junior, Sophomore and Freshman classes and a representative from each athletic organization which has during the College year been permitted by the Athletic Committee to take part in intercollegiate contests."

"The Committee shall have entire supervision and control of all athletic exercises within and without the precincts of the University, subject to the authority of the Faculty of Arts and sciences."

At present the committee is composed of Dean Briggs, Dean Hurlbut, Dean Sabine. Dr. E. H. Nichols '86, F. F. Herrick '90. G. R. Fearing '93, G. G. Ball '08, D. S. Brigham '08, and E. P. Currier '09.