ANDOVER LOST IN HOCKEY

University Team Won by Score of 6 to 0.--Poorer Playing than Usual.

The game yesterday afternoon between the University hockey team and Andover was won by the University team by the score of 6 to 0. The ice was hard and fast and the game spirited and interesting. The University team was, however, slow, and the forwards seemed unable to get together, and were often stopped in their rushes down the ice by not being in line or by clumsy dribbling.

The Andover players were in general very fast skaters and handled their sticks cleverly. The forwards kept in line, stock to their opponents, and rushed the puck down well. They were weak and uncertain in their shooting, however, and were often easily broken up by the defence or by the University forwards following back.

The first five minutes or so of play found Andover shooting time and again at the University goal, and the University forwards seemed unable to get started down the rink. Finally Pell went down the side-boards and passed out to Hicks who shot the puck for the first goal. Andover again made an attack and lost a good chance for scoring by slowness, when Washburn was forced to leave the goal. Pell again took the puck down, passing to Newhall, who over-skated and lost a good shot, but on another rush by Pell, Newhall shot and the puck finally worked in from the scrimmage in front of the goal. The third goal of the half was lifted in by Pell from out of position after a rush by Hicks.

In the second half the University team got together better and played a more confident game. In this half Briggs went in for Newhall and later for Hicks while Paine took right end, vacated by Briggs. Hicks made the first goal of the half, and Pell made the next unassisted. The play then became less interesting, and although the University team could not rush successfully, Andover was kept from scoring by good defensive work. In the last thirty seconds of the game Briggs dribbled the puck down cleverly and passed to Pell who shot the goal.

In the middle of the first half Pell received an accidental cut over the eye from a stick, but continued through the game with a bandage. He played an excellent game, going down the boards time and again only to find the rest of the forwards too slow. Hicks, however, supported him well and did some pretty dribbling. The defense of Ford and Willets was fair although Willets was not up to his usual game.

The summary: HARVARD.  ANDOVER. Pell, l.e.  r.e., Dunn Hicks, Briggs, l.e.  r.e., C. Martin Rumsey, r.e.  l.e., R. Martin Newhall, Briggs, Paine, r.e.  l.e., Kimble Ford, c.p.  c.p., Waterman Willets, p.  p., Brooks Washburn, g.  g., Reynolds

Score Harvard, 6; Andover, 0. Goals--Pell 3, Hicks 2, Newhall. Referee--Dr. Goodrich. Umpire Coates. Timers--Parker and Dr. Page. Goal umpires--Carpenter and Jones. Time 20 and 16-minute halves.