Lectures on Ancient Greek Historians

Through the generosity of Mr. Gardiner M. Lane '81, the Department of the Classics is enabled to announce a course of six lectures on "The Ancient Greek Historians" by J. B. Bury, M. A., Litt.D., LL.D., Regius Professor of Modern History at the University of Cambridge, and Fellow of King's College.

Professor Bury is the author of a "History of the Later Roman Empire from Arcadius to Irene," a "Student's History of the Roman Empire from Augusts to Marcus Aurelius," a "History of Greece to the death of Alexander the Great," "The Life of St. Patrick and his Place in History," and also of numberous articles in various periodicals. He is also the editor of "The Nemean and Isthmian Odes of Pindar," of "Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire," "Freeman's History of Federal Government in Greece and Italy," "Freshman's Historical Geography of Europe," and of other historical works.

The lectures will be given at 8 o'clock in the Lecture Room of the Fogg Museum, on the following dates March 23. The Rise of History in lonia: March 25, Herodotus: March 27. Thucydides: March 30. Developments of Greek Historiography after Timmeydides: April 1, Polybius and Poseidenius; April 3, (1) Influence of Greek on Roman History, (2) Ancient and modern views on the use and purpose of History.

These lectures will be open to the public