March Graduates' Magazine Reviewed

In the March number of the Harvard Graduates' Magazine adequate room is given to a record of the Celebration of the Founder last November, and to the Radcliffe Commemoration of Mrs. Agassiz in December. The centennial of the founding of the Pierian Sodality, March 6, gives occasion for an interesting article by G. F. Evans '05, on the early history of the Sodality; while the twenty-fifth anniversary of the production of the first Harvard operetta, "Dido and Aeneas," played by the Pudding in 1882, draws from Mr. Owen Wister, the Musical Manager, an entertaining account of the occasion. Mr. Lindsay Swift '77 writes on the life of his classmate, Professor Edward Henry Strobel, late Adviser to the King of Siam. A sketch of the career of Bancroft Davis recalls the distinguished services of an older Harvard diplomat, especially in connection with the Geneva arbitration. Professor Lanman, and Professor Laing, of Chicago, pay tribute to the character and learning of the late Professor Minton Warren. Beside the usual reviews of books, Professor Hart's co-operative series of histories, "The American Nation," and Profesor Huntington's "Pulse of Asia," receive fuller notice. A short, but pithy, article by Mr. Volkmann on college entrance requirements discusses the ques- tion from the point of view of the preparatory teacher, and gives strong reasons for such a revision of the requirements as shall permit more thorough work in the schools. The reports of the work and play of the University and of the doings of its graduates are as full and interesting as usual. Especial attention may be directed to the list, on pages 600 ff., of Harvard men who are teaching in other universities and colleges, as an indication of the extension of Harvard influence.

The University is to be congratulated on having in the Graduates' Magazine a publication which is not only rich in varied interest to contemporary readers but a historical record of inestimable value