Dr. SARGENT'S ARTICLE.

It is a privilege for the CRIMSON to be able to publish this morning an article on athletics and training by so well known an authority as Dr. Sargent. There is one point in the argument which is especially gratifying from Harvard's point of view--the expressed belief that intercollegiate games tend to create college spirit and college unity, and that great strides have been taken in the intercollegiate athletic world to eliminate the undesirable elements that have blinded many of our elders to the overwhelming advantages. And just there Dr. Sargent points out a duty to the athletes that are representing. Harvard: the duty of remembering that an intercollegiate game, played by picked teams, is no less a game than a tennis match between acquaintances, and governed by the same rules of honor. We believe that this duty is already realized by the majority of American athletes; a fact that makes most of us who are conversant with real conditions, optimistic of the future of intercollegiate athletics in America. As sure as water seeks its own level, athletics, if not trammelled by too much legislation, will assume the position they deserve, without hindering the progress of the individual athlete, upon whom Dr. Sargent lays so much stress.