PIERIAN'S ACTIVE SEASON

Western Trip In Easter Recess.--Elaborate Centennlal Program.

At a meeting of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences last evening it was voted to grant permission to the Pierian Sodality to take a trip outside of New England during the Easter recess, April '19 to 26 inclusive. The trip is expected to cover some 1500 miles, extending west to Buffalo and south to Washington, including concerts in size of the following cities, to be chosen according to the degree of interest manifested: in New York state--Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Utica, Oswegeo, Itchaca (at Cornell University), Poughkeepsie (at Vasar), and New York; Philadelphia and Pittsburg, AEL Baltimore, Md., and Washington, D. C. Should the interest warrant, the trip may be extended to include Cleveland, Cincinnati, or Detroit.

The orchestra will be composed of about fifty men chosen from over seventy capable instrumentalists, and those who do good work in the concerts of the tour will be retained to compose the centennial orchestra. In addition to the selections rendered by the orchestra, there will be a number of each program by the Pierian Sodality String Quartet, as well as a vocal solo.

The main purpose of the trip is to arouse interest among the graduates of the nearby states in the musical activities at Harvard, in this, the centennial year of its existence. It has a threefold object in view, to stimulate interest in the Department of Music, and in the John Knowles Paine Memorial Building, which is being planned as musical headquarters for the University, and finally in the centennial celebration of the Pierian Sodality to be given by the centennial orchestra in May.

The centennial orchestra will give a concert consisting exclusively of compositions by Harvard men, including a piece by Professor J. K. Paine h.'69, in Sanders Theatre on May 22. This will be in celebration of the one hundredth anniversary of the founding of the Pierian Sodality, and Mr. N. H. Dole '74, will read an original poem in honor of the occasion. The University Glee Club, now in its fiftieth year, will sing some compositions by Harvard men.

Annual Spring Concert April 10.

Preceding the trip, on Friday evening, April 10, The annual spring concert will be given in Sanders Theatre. This year it will be followed by the centennial ball, to which the Faculty and graduates will be especially invited. The concert will commence promptly at 8 o'clock, and there will be dancing in Memorial Hall from 10 until 2 o'clock. Reserved seats in Sanders Theatre will be sold at $1.50. $1.00 and 75 cents each. and tickets of admission to Memorial Hall (for holders of concert tickets only) will be sold at $1.00 each. Floor boxes will be reserved for members of the Faculty, graduates, and their friends, who enclose their applications together in numbers not exceeding twelve.

Applications for reserved seats in Sanders Theatre and tickets of admission to Memorial Hall, enclosing a check for the proper amount, should be made to C. C. Trump, manager, Fairfax 22, Cambridge, Mass. Tickets will be mailed after March 15, and applications will be filled in the order in which they are received.

The work of the orchestra this year has shown great improvement over previous years and it is fortunate in having an abundance of good material. Under the capable leadership of P. G. Clap '09 work upon the repertoire for both the trip and the centennial is progressing rapidly, and the experience gained upon the trip should enable the orchestra to give a highly creditable performance at the centennial in May.

In 1808, Harvard men took the lead in establishing the first college musical organization in America, and the Pierian Sodality now reaches its hundredth anniversary on March 6. The success of the orchestra has varied from year to year with the musical talent available, but 1908 finds it in a very good way for excellent attainment in classical music.

In connection with the centennial and to signalize a new era in the status of musical interests at Harvard, the Harvard Musical Union has for some time been developing plans for a building to serve as headquarters for the Department of Music and for the musical societies of the University. It is to be called the John Knowles Paine Memorial Building in memory of Professor Paine, who founded and devoted his life to the upbuilding of the musical department. A subscription committee is now raising funds for this purpose