THE TRACK CARNIVAL

An entry list of six hundred for the Winter Relay Carnival today, showing an increase of two hundred over the figures of last year and comprising more than two hundred and twenty individual competitors, marks a significant point in the progress of athletics within the limits of the University. This is a striking instance of a kind of athletics that has been unusually prosperous this year. Scrub basketball gave exercise and amusement to 80 men; approximately the same number entered the scrub hockey series, which was unfortunately forestalled by the breaking up of winter; last fall 14 eight-oared crews took part in the inter-dormitory bumping races; and 214 men ran in the fall handicap meet. Such figures as these certainly show no lack of interest in strictly intercollegiate sport.

Nor has this condition been brought about through any withdrawal of interest from intercollegiate athletics. Never have our University teams been more heartily supported by contestants as well as spectators. Side by side we find intercollegiate and intercollegiate athletics at their best.

And still the cry is heard that intercollegiate athletics are absorbing all the interest, while sports within the University are being kept alive under false pressure!