TRACK CARNIVAL SUCCESSFUL

Many Records Broken. -- Ridgely-Mt. Auburn Street Won Relay Race.

The second annual winter track carnival held Saturday afternoon in the Hemenway Gymnasium and on Holmes Field, was a great success. The large number of entries and events prolonged the carnival more than was expected, and the final relay race was not run off until 6.30 o'clock. Cups were awarded in all events to those who won first, second and third places, and also the five members of the winning tug-of-war team. The relay race was won by the Ridgely-Mount Auburn street team which was accordingly awarded the shield presented by the Track and Field Club last year.

The pole vault was the first event on the program and the best contested. Three men did over 10 feet, 7 inches, in their actual vault, and S.C. Lawrence '10 won the event with a vault of 11 feet, 1-4 inch, not counting his handicap.

The 20-yard dash had the largest number of entries, and seven heats were run off, the first man in each heat qualifying for the finals. L. J. Freedman 1G. won in 3 seconds, equalling his own record made in the carnival a year ago. The 16-pound shot put resulted in a tie between L. W. Bangs '08 and F. H. Burr '09. Bangs made the best put, 42 feet, 5 inches, but could not overcome Burr's handicap of 4 feet, 6 inches. Burr's actual put was 38 feet, 11 inches.

The three-legged race and sack race furnished much amusement. The former was won by J. P. Long '11 and O. M. Chadwick '11, and the latter by W. M. Rand '09, both in nearly record time. The rope climb and pole climb were both record breakers. B. M. Vance '08 made the fastest time in the rope climb, beating the record of 8 seconds made last year by 3-5 of a second. The pole climb was won by B. T. Stephenson '08 in 9 1-5 seconds. The previous record was 13 3-5 seconds.

T. M. Gregory '10 won the potato race in 34 1-5 seconds, beating his old record made last year. He was closely pushed by A. Sweetser '11 and J. F. McDonald '08. The high jump had a good number of entries and was very spectacular. It was won by S. A. Reed '11, with B. T. Stephenson '08 second, and W. A. Dennis '11 third. The best jump was made by G. E. Roosevelt '09, who cleared 5 feet, 9 inches, in good form, but failed to place because of the handicaps given his opponents.

The class tug-of-war was intensely exciting, but was marred by the fact that the pulls lasted 2 minutes instead of 1 minute, the regulation length. Had the period been shorter the result might have been different. 1910 first pulled 1911 about four feet, but the Freshmen had more power toward the last and pulled the Sophomores nearly half the length of the Gymnasium. This was characteristic of the other tugs also. The final pull was won by the Freshmen. The human wheelbarrow race was very amusing, and resulted in a victory for W. M. Rand '09 and A. B. Mason '08.

The Outdoor Events.

In the outdoor events R. C. Foster '11 won the 45-yard hurdles for men who never started in a high-hurdle race. P. C. Haskell '08 was second, and R. F. Hoyt '10 was third. All ran in good form for novices. The 45-yard handicap hurdle race was won by W. M. Rand '09 in 6 seconds, record time. The 2-mile cross-country run had a large number of entries, and the runners were well bunched at the finish. E. L. Viets '10 won in 10 minutes, 55 seconds. The 12-pound hammer throw was postponed until tomorrow at 4 o'clock because of the soft ground.

The dormitory relay races were all very close and well run. In the preliminaries the three best times were made by Westmorly, 3 minutes, 10 seconds, a new record; Ridgely-Mount Auburn street, 3 minutes, 11 seconds; and Hollis-Holworthy-Stoughton, 3 minutes, 13 seconds. The finals were run off late, and darkness made good time impossible. The race was between Westmorly and Ridgely-Mount Auburn street. H. W. Kelley '11 took the lead for Ridgely-Mount Auburn street, and R. I. Lothrop '09 increased it a little more. C. C. Little '10 lost some of the advantage, and E. T. Dana '09 was passed by F. S. Blanchard '10 for Westmorly. R. F. Hoyt '10 kept the lead, but E. P. Holmes '10 was passed by F. M. DeSelding '10 in the straight-away, and Ridgely-Mount Auburn street won in 3 minutes, 14 1-5 seconds.

Summary of the Events.

Pole vault, handicap--Won by S.C. Lawrence '10, 4 in., 11 ft. 4 1-4 in.; second, H. O. Evans 1L., 6 in., 11 ft. 1 1-4 in.; third, E. L. Parker '10, 4 in., 10 ft. 11 1-4 in.

20-yard dash--Won by L.J. Freedman 1G.; second, H. Rogers '10; third, R.C. Foster '11. Time, 3s.

Putting 16-pound shot, handicap--First, tie between F. H. Burr '09, 4 ft. 6 in., and L. W. Bangs '08, 1 ft., 43 ft. 5 in.; third, C. C. Little '10, 1 ft. 6 in., 43 ft. 2 in.

Three-legged race--Won by J. P. Long '11 and O. M. Chadwick '11; second, W. M. Rand '09 and A. B. Mason '08; third, E. H. Ruch '10 and T. M. Gregory '10. Time, 7 4-5s.

Rope climbing--Won by B. M. Vance '08; second, E. B. Smith '08; third, R. F. Hoyt '10, Time, 7 2-5s.

Sack race--Won by W. M. Rand '09; second, B. S. Van Rensselaer sC.; third, A. B. Mason '08. Time, 8 4-5s.

Potato race--Won by T. M. Gregory '10; second, A. Sweetser '11; third, J. F. McDonald '08. Time, 34 4-5s.

Running high jump, handicap--Won by S. A. Reed '11, 3 in., 5 ft. 11 in.; second, B. T. Stephenson, '08, 2 1-2 in., 5 ft. 10 1-2 in.; third, W. A. Dennis '11, 3 1-2 in., 5 ft. 10 in.

Pole climbing--Won by B. T. Stephenson '08; second, tie between E. H. Ruch '10 and E. F. O'Brien '11. Time, 9 1-5s.

Tug-of-war--Won by 1911: P. D. Smith, captain, C. E. Dunlap, W. M. Minot, W. Oveson, W. P. Rogers.

Human wheelbarrow race--Won by W. M. Rand '09 and A. B. Mason '08; second, L. W. Bangs '08 and A. S. Jones '09; third, W. F. Whitcher '09 and H. E. Keays '10. Time not taken.

45-yard hurdles, handicap--Won by R. C. Foster '11; second, P. C. Haskell '08; third, R. F. Hoyt '10: Time, 6 2-5s.

45-yard hurdles, handicap--Won by W. M. Rand '09, scratch; second, P. C. Haskell '08, 6 ft.; third, C. Brinsmade 1L., 1 ft. Time, 6s.

Cross-country race, handicap--Won by E. L. Viets '10, 35s.; second, M. H. Whitney '09, scratch; third, E. B. Smith '08, 15s. Time, 10m. 55s.

Dormitory relay races--Won by Ridgely-Mount Auburn street; H. W. Kelley '11, R. L. Lothrop '09, C. C. Little '10, E. T. Dana '09, E. K. Merrihew '10, F. M. deSelding '10; second. Westmerly: L. Watson '10, K. L. Lindsey ; 10, C. O. Mason '10, F. S. Blanchard '10, R. F. Hoyt '10, E. P. Holmes '10; third, Hollis Holworthy-Stoughton: R. E. Keays '10, A. B. Mason '08, M. B. Ciddings '08, P. D. Davis '08, C. Brinsmade 1L., L. J. Freedman 1G. Time, 3m 14 1-5s