FACTS ARE ESSENTIAL.

The CRIMSON has stated that there is but one remaining chance to save the winter contests without endangering the actual existence of both football and baseball. That chance lies in securing tangible facts or statistics to show to just what extent, and in just what way, the scholarly interests of the University have been impaired by intercollegiate athletics. It may then be possible to justify the Athletic Committee in the eyes of the Faculty in rejecting the proposition now under consideration, and to prove that curtailment will not have the desired effect of raising the standard of scholarship. The various abuses of scholarly interests can then be taken up, and the actual results upon them of athletic curtailment considered point by point.

Such statistics must be procurable. We cannot imagine that the Faculty is working altogether on vague generalities. If possible, the CRIMSON will procure them for publication, in order that every man may come to a just conclusion on whether athletic restriction will lead to better scholarship, or only to occupations by far less desirable.