President Eliot's Trip West

President Eliot is at present in Chicago, having had a very successful trip west, and having carried out his program as announced. From Brooklyn he proceeded to Indianapolis, and from there to Urbana, Illinois, where he spent Sunday and Monday at the State University.

President Eliot arrived in Chicago Tuesday evening and was given a most enthusiastic reception at the fifty-first annual dinner of the Chicago Harvard Club, which was attended by some 400 graduates of the University. At the dinner President Eliot gave two addresses, the first being largely an historical review of the University during his thirty-nine years of presidency, while the second was of a more personal nature.

"It is not material development that represents the University's highest achievement in the last forty years," he said. "It is the building up of the University as a great factor in education. Harvard is now not only the oldest institution of learning in the United States, but it is the only university in the country organized on a true university basis."

Last night he gave the first of the course of six lectures on "University Administration" under the Harris Foundation at Northwestern University, Evanston, and will give the second lecture today. He will spend Sunday with Mr. F. A. Delano '85, of the Board of Overseers, concluding the Harris series of lectures on Tuesday, and leaving the following day for Des Moines, Iowa.