Prof. Bury's Course Completed Last Night

Professor John B. Bury, M. A., Litt.D., LL.D., Regius Professor of History at the University of Cambridge, delivered the last of his course of six lectures on "The Greek Historians" last night in the Fogg Lecture Hall.

Professor Bury first spoke on "The Influence of Greek Art on Roman History." Cato was the first Latin historian whose national feelings inspired him to write in Latin. Sallust and Livy followed his example, although the real change was only in the medium of expression. Tacitus, who succeeded these men in Roman historiography, resembled Sallust, but greatly excelled Livy both in narration and rhetoric, though he constantly sacrificed facts to style. The Christianizing movement, he said in concluding this subject, compressed history into a new framework and gave it an entirely different perspective.

In taking up his second subject, "Ancient and Modern Views on the Use and Purpose of History," Professor Bury dealt with the question of the real use of history.

Herodotus assumed the human interest in events, and his whole purpose was to entertain. The modern view asserts that history must be an end in itself and other things only incidental. Its value as a reference book of examples of crises and problems is hardly a sound theory, as history does not repeat itself.

In conclusion Professor Bury expressed his deep gratitude for his treatment at the University and expressed the hope that the intentions of the founder of the course of lectures, Mr. Gardiner M. Lane '81, had been fulfilled.