Rare Manuscripts and Prints Acquired

The University Library has just obtained some valuable old prints and manuscripts at a dealer's auction held last week in New York. Among the rarer and more valuable manuscripts is a large vellum sheet, giving patent letters of chivalry to Messire Angier de Busbeeq, and bearing the signature and seal of Emperor Ferdinand I. of Austria, dated April 3rd 1564. One of the most interesting works is Erasmus's "Commentaries of Cato's Moral Sayings for Children," published in 1523.

A very rare edition of the "Heldenbuch," a collection of the oldest German poetry, published at the Frankfurt in 1590 is also in the collection as well as Eusebius's "Chronicon, continued by Matthews Palmeirus," dated 1483, a very important and interesting book, because of its references to the discovery of printing under the year 1457 and "Libride Architectura," by Vitruvius, a beautiful edition containing many curious plans and wood-cuts by the famous engraver, Glunta of Florence, dated 1522.

Probably the most interesting and valuable edition is Goltzius's "Lives of the Emperors from Caesar to Charles V." This contains 157 large medallion prints of the Roman Emperors, and is very rare and of great value to collectors. It is dated 1560.