W. F. GARCELON ON ATHLETICS

At Meeting In Union.--Other Speeches by Coaches Quinin and Piper.

The baseball and track mass meeting which was held last evening in the Living Room of the Union, was marked by exceptional enthusiasm. G. G. Ball '08 presided and led the cheering.

Coach Quinn, the first speaker, expressed his opinion of the favorable outcome of the track events, and emphasized the fact that the meet would not be won until the last point was decided.

Coach Pieper spoke of the slump which the team had been through during the last two weeks. But it ended Wednesday, he said, and the undergraduate knows what a good team we really have.

W. F. Garcelon L.'95 was the last speaker. A man has more vigor and more energy when he leaves the University if he takes part in athletics, said Mr. Garcelon, and every man should be urged to do so. For that reason the minor sports, or any clean and wholesome sport in which men are interested and which can call out the best players in the University to represent it, should be kept and encouraged, that Harvard may send out men better equipped for life in every way. Applause and enthusiasm are always good things, but what we want are men who have the strength, spirit and energy to win without them. We do not want to praise the losers, they have our sympathy. Victory is the only thing that deserves praise, and Harvard needs victories.