CORNELL CREW WEAKENED

Two Men Forced to Resign.--Repeated Shifts Failed to Better Conditions.

The prospects of the Cornell crew in the race with the University eight, May 30, were considerably diminished last week by the decision of Coach Courtney to drop from the squad L. W. Gavett '08 and R. W. Weed, Jr., '09, who have been rowing steadily on the Cornell eight all the spring. The resignation of these men, together with that of bow and stroke of the four-oar, was requested on account of the ill-feeling and dissension which has been current among the men all the season. Lately, especially since Koorner was compelled to leave, the first boat has been unaccountably slow; and since such a strong combination as he had was being beaten continually by the junior university and freshman crews, Mr. Courtney saw that there must be something radically wrong. His repeated shifts did not better matters. It was evident that the men were dissatisfied and did not work well together, and that the affair had gone too far to be settled peacefully. Mr. Courtney said that while his move may cost Cornell the victory in the Harvard race, it is the only one that could prove wise in the long run. He was not prepared for recent developments and considers them unfortunate, but thinks that he can develop an eight which will win the Poughkeepsie Regatta from the men he has left.

The first eight as it is rowing now, is as follows:

Stroke, Cox.; 7, Sanger; 6, Backus; 5, Brinton; 4, Dods; 3, Clark; 2, Bayer; bow, Frost; cox., Clark.