VARIED WORK AT NEW LONDON

Good Showing by University Eight.-Freshman Crew Off Form.

Harvard Crew Quarters, Red Top, Conn., June 10, 1908.-Today the University crew as a whole rowed better than it has before this week, although Sargent was not up to his usual standard this afternoon. In the morning after some tubbing work for Fish and Sargent, Wray went out in his single with the University eight-oared crew and covered a couple of miles in easy fashion.

The afternoon work was of a varied character. Starting at a very slow stroke, the men went down stream in three stretches as far as a quarter-mile below the Navy Yard. There, after turning, a short distance was covered with the stroke at 30. This stretch was followed by a racing start that was better than any Harvard crew has made on the Thames for the past three years. The boat shot along at a remarkable speed and the men kept together almost to perfection. The next stretch was a long one again, with a very slow stroke until opposite the boat house, where ten fast strokes were taken. Then after another short turn down stream the crew left the water.

The University four-oared crew had light work in the morning, but in the afternoon rowed eight miles. The men went all the way down to the New London railroad bridge and back. This work helped them to become used to one another and to Cutler's stroke.

Lighter work was given to the Freshmen. In the morning the eight covered about one and a half miles, going easily, and in the afternoon went down stream two miles and back. In this boat numbers 3, 4, and 5 did not manage their slides well and the shell spaced poorly between strokes as a result. The Freshman four-oar rowed only a short distance in the morning but in the afternoon went nearly four miles accompanied by Coach Gill in his single scull.

White flags at the half-mile points were set out today by the regatta committee of the New London Board of Trade. J. C. Warren '82 visited the quarters today. R. F. Herrick '90 was also here. His new power boat, the "Tautog," arrived from Bristol, R. I., this afternoon, and will be kept here until after the race. R. S. Lovering '08 arrived this afternoon and will remain as a substitute, though his knee has not entirely recovered from a recent injury.

The orders of the crews follow:

University eight-Stroke, Sargent; 7, Richardson; 6, Bacon; 5, Waid; 4, Lunt; 3, Severance; 2, Fish; bow, Faulkner; cox., Blagden.

University four-oar-Stroke, Cutler: 3, Withington; 2, Morgan; bow, Ellis; cox., King.

Freshman eight-Stroke, Cutler; 7, Hooper: 6, Eaton; 5, Withington: 4, Waite: 3, Whitney; 2, Forster; bow, Shillito: cox., Fales.

Freshman four-oar-Stroke, Richardson; 3, Jowett; 2, Smith: bow, Reece: cox., Coach Gill.