PROF. HASKINS CHOSEN DEAN

Succeeds Late Dean Wright of Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

At the meeting of the Board of Overseers yesterday, the appointment by the Corporation of Charles Homer Haskins, professor of history, as dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences was confirmed. This position was left vacant by the death of Dean Wright on November 25.

Professor Haskins was graduated from Johns Hopkins University in 1887 and received the degree of Ph.D. from the same institution in 1890. After doing advanced work at the Universities of Berlin and Paris, he was appointed instructor in history at Johns Hopkins. After a year in this position, he went to the University of Wisconsin as instructor in history, and in 1890 and 1891 was successively promoted to the positions of assistant professor of history and professor of European history, holding the latter until 1902. In the winter of 1899 and 1900 he held the position of lecturer on history in Harvard University, and in 1902 received his appointment as professor of the same subject. Professor Haskins has written numerous articles on historical subjects and the teaching of history.