Pres. Eliot's Views on Radcliffe

President Eliot delivered an address on Radcliffe College at a luncheon given by the Radcliffe College Club at Delmonico's New York, on Saturday afternoon. He discussed the growth of the institution and its advantages over other women's colleges, in that it had male teachers selected with the greatest care.

President Eliot first assured his audience that Radcliffe had improved and developed during his administration. Large additions to the lands and buildings of the college have been made within the last years, of which three are especially valuable. These are the two dormitories and the library. The former are of special importance, because they make possible a different from of college life and will draw the most desirable class of students, now that all can live together.

Turning to the question of the teaching staff, President Eliot pointed out that the selection of men teachers, with careful attention to their knowledge and ability to teach, is a peculiar quality of Radcliffe. Another advantage lies in the fact that most of them are comparatively young men, and, with few exceptions, the best time for the teacher is between the ages of 25 and 50. Radcliffe's greatest need lies in this. There ought to be a far greater fund for teachers' salaries, to permit of experimentation in developing the most appropriate courses for women.

Later in the afternoon Dean Briggs spoke briefly of Professor A. Lawrence Lowell '77, and then turned to a discussion of co-education, congratulating Radcliffe on having avoided it.