CANADIAN TEAM DEFEATED

Harvard Wins Fast Hockey Game.-University Team Good on Defence.

In a game filled with brilliant plays, the University hockey team defeated St., Francis Xavier of Nova Scotia in the Stadium yesterday afternoon by the score of 1 to 0. In spite of the softness of the ice, the playing was fast and spirited at all times. The strength of Harvard's team-work against such an opponent as St. Francis, which has not been beaten in the Maritime League for eight years, deserves great praise. Though much handicapped by lack of practice they played a hard game at all times, and gave indications of becoming one of the best teams in years. Both teams played a very strong defensive game, which made it extremely difficult for the forwards to shoot effectively. Washburn turned aside several hard shots and with Hicks, who made the only score in the middle of the first half, excelled for Harvard.

The University team played well together though at times their passing was wild, due to the poor condition of the ice. The defence showed much improvement over former work, and were able to break up the St. Francis line before they reached a scoring position.

After several hard shots had been stopped by MacDonald, the University forwards carried the puck up the rink together but their attempt to score failed. Doyle and W. Brown by clever passing nearly scored, but Willetts carried the puck out of danger. Playing was slow for a short time, but soon Hicks and Hornblower carried the puck from the middle of the rink, and the former scored from in front of the goal. For the rest of the half, there were few tries at goals.

After the face-off in the second half, Gardner received the puck but his shot was stopped by MacDonald. St. Francis rallied now, and scoring was only prevented by the quick work of Washburn at goal, who stopped two shots from a scrimmage in front of his goal. The most exciting play of the game now occurred in front of St. Francis's goal, but MacDonald took the puck himself and carried it to the middle of the rink. In the few remaining minutes of play there was no scoring.

The summary: HARVARD.  Sr. FRANCIS. Gardner, l.e.  r.e., Lyons Hicks, l.e.  r.c., F. MacDonald Morgan, r.c.  l.c., Doyle Hornblower, r.e.  l.e., W. Brown Ford, c.p.  c.p., J. Brown Willetts, p.  p., McSweeney Washburn, g.  g., J. MacDonald

Score-Harvard, 1; St. Francis, 0. Goal-Hicks. Referee-Coates. Umpire-MacMillan. Goal umpires-C. W. Short '08, MacDonald. Timekeepers-R. Haydock '10, McSweeney. Time-20 minute halves.