A CHANCE TO GIVE WELL.

The earthquake shocks and tidal wave in Southern Italy and Sicily which saddened the civilized world at the close of the old year had hardly ceased rumbling before contributions were being poured in to central agencies in this and other countries throughout the world to be used in relieving the agonies and sufferings of the stricken Messinians and Calabrians. Large sums of money have been hurried to the scene of the disaster and supplies of food and clothing are being rushed to the relief of the sufferers.

Literally hundreds of thousands of lives have been annihilated by the force of the eruptions and the fires and the sea. Lower Italy is panic stricken; mere words cannot describe the awful state into which the country has been plunged. Heroic efforts to relieve the distress are being made by scores of men and women in the vicinity whose lives were spared, but more money and more provisions are needed. It is right that this community give of its abundance at this time and contribute liberally to this, the noblest of causes--the relief of human grief and suffering.