MAJOR HIGGINSON '55.

Back as far as anyone can reasonably accurately remember Major Higginson has been a helpful member of society. During the fifty-eight years since he first entered Harvard College in 1851 his loyalty and devotion to the University have been unceasing and his benefactions have been numerous. As a member of the Corporation since 1893, he has been a wise and far-sighted counsellor, a valuable associate in the administration of the University. He has given of his wealth as well as of his wisdom and his gifts are of the lasting kind. He has found his happiness in giving, first of all to his country during the days of the Civil War, and later to Harvard and the community in which he lives.

It is of the early days of service that we are to hear tonight in the Union, of the days and months when still a young man, he experienced the tedium of the camp, the fatigue of the march, and the danger of the battlefield. It should provide a splendid occasion to gain an insight into the character and ideals of the man, who has survived the War these forty years a model of devotion to his country and his College, while he reminisces about the days of '61.