Harvard and American Universities

The current number of "The Independent" contains an article on Harvard University, the first of a series by Dr. E. E. Slosson on "Great American Universities."

The writer points out that Harvard, in spite of the great growth of western universities still holds its prestige as the foremost of American universities. As regards courses of instruction, the article explains that Harvard offers more than any other university, and her faculty is the largest and most eminent in the country. Interesting statistics concerning the elective system are given, and Dr. Slosson is of the opinion that the system is on the whole advantageous. The writer believes that for earnest students who desire to complete the course in three years special classes should be provided. Harvard has been the leader in the establishment of professional schools, among the latest of which have been the Graduate School of Applied Science and the School of Business Administration. The article is well illustrated by diagrams, numerous views of the College buildings, and a photograph of President Eliot.