LONG SCRIMMAGE YESTERDAY

Several Changes in Line-up of University Team.--Second Eleven Strong.

The University football team, in secret practice yesterday afternoon, was given no preliminary work other than signal practice. The line-up against the second eleven, however, was longer than usual and consisted of two 20-minute halves. In offensive work a slight improvement was apparent. This was not, however, manifest in the defense, as the second eleven, although weak, carried the ball for long gains. The University team scored three touchdowns during the scrimmage, two in the first half and one in the second. Mills did not take part in the practice. Meier and Hurley were on the field but did not engage in the scrimmage owing to slight injuries received in the Dartmouth game last Saturday.

In the scrimmage the second eleven kicked off to Montgomery, who ran the ball in from the 15- to the 33-yard line. From here the University team rushed down the field with steady gains for a touchdown, Squires carrying the ball over the line. Kersberg received the kick-off for the second eleven and ran it back 13 yards to his own 28-yard line. Here the University team held for downs and Hanley soon after scored another touchdown. The second eleven kicked off to Starr, who received the ball on the 5-yard line and returned it 15 yards. Sperry punted 50 yards and then the second team pushed the University eleven down the field 65 yards, carrying the ball to the 5-yard line. Here the University team held for downs and Sperry kicked. Brennick fumbled and Montgomery fell on the ball on his own 40-yard line. The half ended at this point. In the next half, the second eleven kicked off to Wendell, who ran in 20 yards to his 25-yard line. Nichols punted and the University team recovered the ball on a fumble. The third touchdown of the practice was made by Wendell after the ball had been rushed by steady gains. The rest of the half was largely devoted to exchanges of punts and no further scoring resulted.

The line-up: UNIVERSITY ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Randall, l.e.  r.e., Hall Brill, l.t.  r.t., Kersberg White, Schoenfuss, l.g.  r.g., Pell Parker, Parkinson, c.  c., Fraser Squires, r.g.  l.g., Brown Oveson, r.t.  l.t., Peirce Montgomery, r.e.  l.e., Blagden Starr, q.b.  q.b., Brennick Sperry, Nichols, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Mason Wendell, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Snyder Hanley, f.b.  f.b., Prendergast, Jenkins