ENROLLMENT STATISTICS.

As far as figures can show the material progress of the University enrollment statistics published today reflect a satisfactory condition of growth in nearly every department. In the College the entering class justifies the expectations as to numbers to which the entrance examinations gave rise, and when Freshman classes are large the welfare of other undergraduate and graduate departments is assured for future years. It is a regrettable fact that through many early graduations and some failures by the way the Senior class is but little more than half as large as the Freshman class. To the impartial mind it would seem that some change in the requirements which would establish either three years or four years as the normal period for the attainment of the bachelor's degree would be preferable to the present state of confusion in which the valuable element of class unity is so largely lost.

In the two graduate schools which are still in a comparatively new and experimental stage, the schools of Applied Science and of Business Administration, increased numbers make a prosperous outlook. The former may expect much greater growth now that the McKay fund is becoming available for improvements in instruction and equipment, but both are still essentially on trial and only the record of their graduates in professional and business life can be accepted as final evidences of success. Andover Seminary, which in numbers still occupies such an humble place, is yet becoming more firmly established in its new home and may confidently look forward to years of increasing usefulness.