1913 Squad Had Stiff Scrimmage

The Freshman football team was given a thorough trying-out in practice yesterday afternoon. The whole first squad was drilled in starting and in falling on the ball, special attention being paid to the ends by Coach Moore. This was succeeded by a long signal practice, in which Parmenter, a fullback, was tried in the line at left guard, and Cutler was moved from centre to right tackle.

The practice ended with a twenty-minute scrimmage between the first and second teams. The first team kicked off, but soon recovered the ball on downs. The second's line then held well, and the ball changed hands again. Hardwick made 15 yards through the line, and on the next play Coach Harding recovered an onside kick for a long gain. At this point the first team gained possession of the ball, and Graustein made 33 yards around right end on a fake kick. He made ten more on a dodging run through the left side of the line, and Frothingham took the ball to the second's 1-yard line on a centre play. Frothingham failed to gain around right end and Coach Winston punted out of danger for the second team. The first team then went half the length of the field in five plays, but lost the ball on a fumble on the second's 6-yard line, Coach Harding recovering it for the second team. Time was called with the ball in the latter's possession near the middle of the field.

The line-up: FIRST TEAM.  SECOND TEAM. Hollister, J. Parker, l.e.  r.e., Davis Lingard, l.t.  r.t., Coach Harding Parmenter, l.g.  r.g., Thomas Jones, F. Parker, c.  c., Russell Godfrey, r.g.  l.g., Lawson Cutler, Jenks, r.t.  l.t., Coach Dewey Chadwick, White, r.e.  l.e., Bennett Ervin, Bradley, q.b.  q.b., Bowne Graustein, Graves, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Warren Wendell, Proctor, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Minot Frothingham, Marsh, f.b.  f.b., Hardwick