IMPROVED DEFENSIVE WORK

First Team Successfully Held Second.--5 Drop Kicks by O'Flaherty.

The University team was given a long defensive scrimmage yesterday afternoon against the second during the secret practice. The second was given a number of opportunities to score, having the ball on the 20-yard line with an unlimited number of downs. The University eleven was very strong on the defence, however, for open and trick plays were stopped for no gain in almost every case.

McKay and Corbett were both in the scrimmage, after long absences, and showed their condition to be perfect. Minot and P. D. Smith were not used against the second team, for they were both still a little stiff as a result of Saturday's game. O'Flaherty started the scrimmage and his work in the back-field, especially catching punts, was decidedly improved. After the regular scrimmage was over, the two teams lined up on the second's 25-yard line and O'Flaherty kicked five pretty drop kicks. The line held well and each kick got away quickly and cleanly.

Later in the scrimmage Wigglesworth replaced O'Flaherty and ran the team very well. He was very sure in catching punts, but did not prove so brilliant in the open field. G.G. Browne was on the field dressed to play but was not used in the scrimmage.

The University played very well together, McKay and Corbett adding greatly to the team-play, and all the men started well with the ball.

The line-up: FIRST TEAM.  SECOND TEAM. Houston, l.e.  r.e., Whitney McKay, l.t.  r.t., Goddard L. Withington, l.g.  r.g., O'Hare P. Withington, c.  c., Barker Fisher, r.g.  l.g., Knapp Fish, r.t.  l.t., Coburn L.D. Smith, r.e.  l.e., Clifford O'Flaherty, Wigglesworth, q.b.  q.b., Merrill Corbett, Frothingham, l.h.b.  r.h.b., R.M. Page Long, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Tryon Morrison, f.b.  f.b., McCabe