Speeches at 1913 Mass Meeting

The Freshman mass meeting held in Lower Massachusetts last evening was attended by about 150 men. S. A. Sargent, Jr., '10 led the cheering and introduced the speakers.

Mr. Garcelon made a strong and enthusiastic appeal to the class to take advantage of the opportunities that lie before it. He emphasized the necessity of keeping up in class-room work and thus keeping up in class-room work and thus keeping eligible for the teams. The idea of persistency, which is needed to develop a good football team, is also needed to make useful men. The spirit of Harvard, which alone will give a team the vigor and the support that will make it victorious, rests in the desire of each individual to do something that is worth while with all his power and all his enthusiasm.

After Captain Lewis had spoken briefly about the team, Captain Fish said that the number of men present at the mass meeting was less than it should have been. He declared that the material for the Freshman team was good and that the coaching was the best that any Freshman victory over Yale would give the University team great moral support.

Enough money was contributed to procure a band for the last practice. The entire Freshman class will assemble in front of Matthews tomorrow afternoon at 3.30 o'clock to march to the field.