William H. Baldwin Prize Offered

The National Municipal League offers the William H. Baldwin Prize of $100 for the best essay on a subject connected with municipal government. The prize is open to all undergraduate students taking a regular course in any college or university in the country. The Executive Committee of the League acting in co-operation with the Committee on Co-ordination of University and Collegiate Instruction in Municipal Government, has selected as the subject for this year's competition: "City Government by Commission."

The competitor is given the utmost freedom in handling the subject, but the committee suggests the following procedure:

1. A very brief outline of the municipal conditions which produced the movement toward the commission system of city government.

2. A study of the Galveston plan as the original type of the commission system.

3. A study of the various modifications of this type as adopted in other cities.

4. An analysis of the working of city government under the commission plan, what has been accomplished, what difficulties the system has encountered, and what remedies or safeguards have been or should be adopted.

For any additional details of scope or conditions address Assistant Professor W. B. Munro, Dana 37, Cambridge, Chairman of the Committee. The essays must be mailed or delivered to an express company not later than March 15, 1910, addressed to Clinton K. Woodruff, Secretary of the National Municipal League, North American Building, Philadelphia, Pa., and marked "For the William H. Baldwin Prize." The name of the winner will be announced by the committee of judges at their next annual meeting.