NEW CHEMICAL LABORATORY

$47,000 to be Secured Before January 1, 1910, to Insure Its Erection.

Letters have been sent out by the Committee of the Overseers to visit the Chemical Laboratories and by the Department of Chemistry asking for contributions for the erection of new buildings. For the construction of the first building, $53,000 has already been pledged, which will be available provided $47,000 more is collected before January 1, 1910. All contributions should be sent to the treasurer of the University, C. F. Adams, 2nd, 50 State street, Boston.

Last spring a committee was appointed from the Board of Overseers to examine the Chemical Laboratories. The report returned was that the accommodations for chemical classes were inadequate, unsanitary, uncomfortable, and generally bad. The committee also rejected a plan for the renovation of the Boylston and Dane Hall laboratories, and recommended new buildings.

The project is to erect a group of five new buildings. A central or administrative building will contain the lecture halls, offices, libraries, and the chemical museum. The other four will be laboratories, each devoted to one of the four branches of the science: organic and industrial chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, qualitative and quantitative analysis. Such a plan will require $500,000 for the construction of the group of buildings, and the same amount for the endowment. The $100,000 now being raised will be used for the first building, which it is proposed to name after the late Professor Wolcott Gibbs h.'88. Last spring two anonymous gifts amounting to $50,000 were received and this fall $3,000 more was given.

Professor C. R. Sanger '81, director of the Chemical Laboratory, gave out the following statement last evening:

"The immediate object of the present movement is to raise sufficient money to erect a building to accommodate the students in physical and inorganic chemistry under the direction of Professor T. W. Richards, and to give Professor Richards the opportunity of carrying out researches, which have been impossible on account of the conditions in Boylston Hall.

"Eventually, the Division of Chemistry hopes to realize the plan for the erection of a group of buildings, one of the greatest undertakings in the history of the University. The proposed building for Professor Richards will serve as the nucleus for the group."