RELIEF FOR THE CHEMISTRY DEPARTMENT.

The expectation of new buildings for the chemistry department which the present movement holds out is good news for Harvard men. The inadequacy of the existing accommodations has long been a vexation to students and instructors who have been obliged to work in the Boylston and Dane laboratories, and has been disagreeably apparent to others by the odors which have emanated from those places. The prospect of relief from these unsavory conditions is welcome to all.

One of the best features of the plan announced is that it allows the construction of the new buildings one at a time as the funds become available and as the growth of the chemistry department makes more room necessary. Though the complete plant may not be ready for some years, the work of getting it will be distributed, and will be less of a strain on the men who collect the funds and on those who give.

In the last few years the Medical and Law Schools, and now the Dental School, have moved into new quarters, commensurate in the convenience of their equipment with the growing importance of the work done in those departments. The achievements in chemistry, even in the unfavorable conditions that have handicapped routine and original work alike, have been of equal value. With modern buildings for their investigations, Professor Richards and his colleagues may reasonably expect to secure results of greater significance.