ANDOVER DEFEATED, 2 TO 0

Strong Wind Prevented Good Showing In Association Football Game.

The University association football team defeated Phillips Andover Academy on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon in the first game of the yea by the score of 2 to 0. The game was greatly hampered by a strong wind that swept lengthwise down the field, giving great advantage to the team playing with it. The work was ragged as both teams had played very little this year.

Harvard won the toss and chose to play against the wind, which consequently kept her on the defensive throughout the greater pat of the first half, except for an occasional apart in which she would carry the ball the length of the field only to lose it by lack of team-play. Fahnestock's work at goal prevented Andover's attempts at scoring during this half.

In the second half, aside from the advantage of playing with an increasing wind, Harvard showed marked improvement and clearly outplayed, its opponents. The first tally came as a result of a foul by one of the Andover men. Leland had a free kick from just outside the penalty line, and instead of trying a direct kick, he passed the ball forward to Fish, who scored easily. The second score came very shortly after the first, due to another foul by Andover, only this time within the penalty line, which entitled Harvard to a free penalty kick for a goal, which Leland kicked, making the final score 2 to 0.

The Summary: HARVARD  ANDOVER Fahnestock, g.  g., Wells Blackall, r.f.b.  l.f.b. Bushnell Fish, l.f.b.  r.f.b., Dickey Mason, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Riley Swan, c.h.b.  c.h.b., Kwan Houston, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Hardy Leland, r.o.f.  l.o.f., Ogden Lindsay, r.i.f.  l.i.f., Price Chadwick, c.f.  c.f., Thompson Gardner, l.i.f.  r.i.f., Reynolds Li, l.o.f.  r.o.f., Look

Score-Harvard, 2; Andover, 0. Goals-Fish, Leland. Referee-Lucy. Linesmen-Suckley, Hadden. Time-30 and 20-minute halves.