Pasteur Debating Trials Tonight

The first trials for the Pasteur Debating Medal will be held in the Assembly Room of the Union this evening beginning at 7 o'clock. Each contestant will speak for five minutes on the subject "Resolved, That the French government should adopt an income tax in order to distribute more equitably the burden of the taxation." As the result of the trials six or seven men will be retained to take part in the final contest in the New Lecture Hall on Friday, December 17.

The use of notes will be permitted but men must not read their speeches. Not only logic and clear presentation of the subject, but general knowledge, manner of delivery, and literary style of the competitor, will be considered in the judging of the speeches. The judges will be A. H. Elder '08, A. N. Holcombe '07, P. B. Kennedy '09. All members of the University, who have not handed in their names, but wish to compete, can enter at the trials.

The Pasteur Medal Prize was founded in 1898 by Baron Pierre de Coubertin, and is awarded to the best speaker in an annual debate on a subject drawn from contemporary French politics.