BOSTON ROVERS, 1; HARVARD, 0

Game Won by Superior Strategy.--Harvard Eleven Lacked Unity.

The University association football team was defeated by the Boston Rovers Saturday afternoon on Soldiers Field by the score of 1 to 0. The field was slippery, due to the thawing out of the frost, but the weather conditions were otherwise good.

The playing of the Harvard team, while it showed considerable improvement over Wednesday's game with Andover, was still ragged, and the rovers altogether outclassed Harvard in Team-play. The Harvard forwards were at fault in trying to kick the ball too much, instead of holding it and passing accurately. It was a case of strategy and a thorough knowledge of the game being victorious over superior wind and strength.

The features of the first half were two penalty kicks for the Rovers, both of which were unsuccessful. The first attempt was made by Maitland, which was foiled by a superb stop by Fish, who changed positions with Paul for that play, and the second, by Houston of the Rovers, which went over the goal. The play was in Harvard's territory the greater part of the time, due to the superior work of the Rovers in holding the ball and passing skillfully, though no score was made.

The only score of the game came about the middle of the second half. The Rovers, after several unsuccessful attempts at goal which were blocked by Paul, carried the ball to within striking distance of the goal by good passing, and J. Mellon scored. Harvard showed improvement almost immediately and kept the Rovers distinctly on the defensive for the rest of the game, and though the Harvard forwards had several chances to score they were never able to avail themselves of the opportunities.

The summary: HARVARD.  ROVERS. Paul, g.  g.,Gray Blackall, r.f.b.  l.f.b., Boyd Fish, l.f.b.  r.f.b., Lewis Mason, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Canning Swan, c.h.b.  c.h.b., Houston Beard, l.h.b.  r.h.b., W. J. Collins Leland, r.o.f.  l.o.f., McClay Lindsay, r.i.f.  l.i.f., Stewart Houston, c.f.  c.f., Maitland Chadwick, l.i.f.  r.i.f., J. Mellon Ho, l.o.f.  r.o.f., T. Mellon

Score--Rovers, 1; Harvard, 0. Goal--J. Melon. Referee--Lucy. Time--30-minute halves.