Exhibition of Text-Books in Gore

A very complete collection of early English text-books will be on exhibition today and tomorrow in the Treasure Room of Gore Hall. The collection, which is without a rival in this country, belongs to Mr. G. A. Plimpton of Boston. Among the notable specimens are: Wilson's Rhetoriche and Logiche, Hart's Orthographie, the first English edition of Record's Arithmetic, the Dialogues of Corderius, and other school books used in the latter part of the sixteenth century. Another interesting volume is a copy of Melanchthon's Greek Grammar. This was the reformer's own copy of the work and has numerous annotations in his handwriting.

Other interesting objects are an early English hornbook, and an American hornbook found in New Jersey, one of three known specimens with a battledore and some early English primers. There is also the only known copy of Lilley's Latin Grammar, and a unique handbook of penmanship issued in 1670.

The exhibition will be open all day to members of the University; others will be admitted in the afternoon by applying to Mr. Lane at Gore Hall.