BASKETBALL LOST TO YALE

By Score of 22 to 8 in Rough Game.--Harvard Completely Outplayed.

The University basketball team was defeated by Yale in the Hemenway Gymnasium last evening by the score of 22 to 8. The University team was completely overwhelmed at the start by the speed and team-play exhibited by its opponent, the score at the end of the first six or seven minutes standing 6 to 0 in favor of Yale. From that point to the end of the first half Yale's superiority was manifest in all departments of the game, the period ending with the score 16 to 4 against the University team. In the second half the play was more even, and during the first few minutes was entirely in Yale's territory. The game was marked throughout by unnecessary roughness, indicated by the large number of fouls called on both teams. Harvard's defeat is to be attributed to defective covering, poor passing and almost complete lack of team-play. Yale's team was not only faster, but the men covered better and co-operation was carried to perfection. Another factor in the scoring was the remarkable ability of Van Vleck to throw goals from fouls; he made six out of a possible eight in the first half, while Allen's six chances netted not a single point.

Strobridge started the scoring for Yale by a goal from the floor in the first minute. This was followed by two goals from fouls and a goal from the floor by Van Vleck. Wellman scored first for Harvard after ten minutes of play, and then followed goals by Cushman and Allen in quick succession. The rest of the period was devoted to a series of tries at goals from fouls, giving Yale four more points. Then came a goal on a beautiful long shot by Cushman, and another by Wilson just before time was called. The half ended with the score 16 to 4 in Yale's favor. In the second half Currie was substituted for Wellman, Allen shifted to Newton's place at centre, Brown took Allen's place at left guard, and Webber went in at right guard. A few minutes later Sheahan took Miller's place at right forward. For Yale, Scudder went in for Van Vleck. The change resulted in better covering of the Yale players, while Currie's good passing was effective. In addition, Yale's shooting became erratic. Allen scored first on a goal from a foul. Wilson and Cushman each scored a goal from the foul by Allen. Scudder now made the last goal for Yale, and Brown secured a goal from the floor about two minutes before time. Levy was put in place of Eames just before the half ended. The summary: HARVARD.  YALE. Wellman, Currie, l.f.  r.g., Eames, Levy Miller, Sheahan, r.f  l.g., Wilson Newton, Allen, e. c.,  Van Vleck, Scudder Allen, Brown, l.g.  r.f., Cushman Brown, Webber, r.g.  l.f., Strobridge

Score--Yale, 22; Harvard, 8. Goals from the floor--Allen, Brown, Wellman, Cushman 3, Strobridge, Van Vleck, Wilson 3. Goals from fouls--Allen 2, Van Vleck 6. Fouls called on Harvard, 12; on Yale, 11. Referee--Hehir o Worcester. Timer--H. L. Carlebach '09. Time--20-minute halves.