HOCKEY.

The uncertainty attending the playing of a championship game today emphasizes the crying needs of the University hockey team. The Dartmouth team has come to Cambridge to take part in one of the most important contests of the intercollegiate series, and may be forced to return to Hanover without playing because of the vagaries of this eccentric climate. For in spite of the growing importance of hockey, there is no way of ensuring good ice for the team. The plans for an indoor rink in Boston have apparently fallen through, and no refrigerating apparatus in the Stadium is possible as long as the hockey management is supposed to depend on its own subscriptions and gate-receipts to meet its large expenses.

This state of affairs may leave the championship undecided this year, because it will be very hard to arrange another game between Harvard and Dartmouth in case today's game is not played and Harvard defeats Yale. Both teams are limited in the number of trips they can take, and both are laboring under financial disadvantages. We hope that the building of an indoor rink in Boston will prevent the recurrence of a like dilemma, or that the Athletic Association will see fit to provide some means by which the hockey team can be sure of good ice throughout the season.