THE CREW CAPTAIN.

Another name has been added to the rapidly growing list of Harvard captains who have been unable to go through the season with their teams. Last fall the football eleven lost its leader in the middle of the season, and now it is announced that illness has caused the resignation of the captain of the crew. It will be hard to fill Severance's place in the boat and it will be hard for the crew to change its captain, but if bad fortune had to come, we are glad that it came at this time. There are more than the usual number of good oarsmen in College now, and although difficult, it will not be impossible to find a suitable man for the vacant seat. As for the new captain, he may be sure that his election meets with universal approval.

We wish the crew the best of success in the season which it is beginning today. Rowing out of doors will come later than usual this spring because of the new dam, but when the ice does go out of the Charles, we confidently expect to see an eight which will live up to the splendid reputation made by its victorious predecessor.