Strobel Memorial Donation from Siam

The University Library has received from the General Advisor to the Government of Siam a large sum of money, raised by subscription in that country for a memorial to the late Professor Edward H. Strobel '77. This is to take the form of a fund, the income of which will be devoted to the purchase of recent books on Siam. In addition to money contributions, authors of books on subjects connected with Siam, have sent copies of their work and the Council of the Siam Society has also contributed a full set of the Journal of the Society.

Professor Strobel was graduated from Harvard in 1877 and, after studying at the Law School for five years, was admitted to the New York bar, where he practised until 1885. He then entered the diplomatic service and served at Madrid for five years. During this time he was sent on special business to Morocco. After living in Ecuador and in Chile for several years, he was appointed Bemis professor of international law at the Harvard Law School in 1898. In 1903, Professor Strobel became general advisor to the government of Siam, securing leave of absence from the University. This position he held until his death last year.

On his last visit to America he informed the Librarian of the University that he would furnish the funds for all books purchased by the Library on the subject of Siam. It is to carry out this idea after his death that the friends of Professor Strobel have organized the fund.