Fencing Team Failed to Qualify

The Harvard team was badly defeated in the preliminaries of the intercollegiate fencing tournament, held at the gymnasium of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Saturday evening; of the 27 matches, Technology won 13, Yale 12, and Harvard 2. This tournament was one of three preliminary round-robin tournaments held Saturday, the first two colleges in each qualifying for the finals to be held in New York on March 26 and 27. Annapolis and Pennsylvania qualified at Annapolis and West Point and Cornell at West Point.

The summary of the Boston tournament is as follows:

Knox (T.) defeated Smith (Y.), Erhard (H.), Ross (Y.), Cutting (H.), Sanders (Y.), and Barroll (H.).

Ross (Y.) defeated Cutting (H.), Erhard (H.), Barroll (H.), and Grubnau (T.).

Loring (T.) defeated Sanders (Y.), Cutting (H.), Ross (Y.), Erhard (H.), and Barroll (H.).

Sanders (Y.) defeated Barroll (H.), Grubnau (T.), and Erhard (H.).

Smith (Y.) defeated Grubnau (T.), Barroll (H.), Loring (T.), Cutting (H.), and Erhard (H.).

Grubnau (T.) defeated Barroll (H.) and Cutting (H.).

Cutting (H.) defeated Canders (Y.).

Erhard (H.) defeated Grubnau (T.).

Referee--H. H. Breckinridge. Judges--F. Powers, A. Turner and G. Haas.