Prizes Open to Harvard Students

The following is a statement of various prizes which have been offered by outside institutions which are open to students in different departments of the University.

The University of Chicago has been enabled, through the generosity of Hart, Schaffner and Marx of Chicago, to offer again in 1909, as in the past four years, prizes under two general heads. Attention is called to a new rule that a competitor is not confined to subjects mentioned in this announcement; but any other subject chosen must first be approved by the committee. Under the first head the following subjects are suggested primarily for those who have had an academic training; but possession of a degree is not required of a contestant, nor is any age limit set:

1. German and American methods of regulating trusts.

2. The logic of "Progress and Poverty."

3. What are the ultimate ends of trade-unions and can these be gained by any application of the principles of monopoly?

4. In view of the existing railway progress, should the United States encourage the construction of waterways?

Under this head Class A includes any American without any restriction; and Class B includes only those who, at the time the papers are sent in, are undergraduates in an American college. Any member of Class B may compete for the prizes of Class A. A first prize of $600 and a second prize of $400 are offered for the best studies presented in Class A; and a first prize of $300 and a second prize of $200 are offered for the best studies presented in Class B.

Under the second head are suggested some subjects intended for those who have not had academic training and who form Class C:

1. The best scheme for uniform corporation accounts.

2. Desirable methods of improving our trade with China.

3. The proper spheres of the trust company and the commercial bank.

4. The relations of oriental immigration to American industries.

5. The relative efficiency of American and European labor in manufacturing and industries.

A prize of $500 is offered for the best study presented in Class C; any member of Class C may compete in Class A.

Competitors are advised that the studies should be thorough, expressed in good English, and although not limited as to length, should not be needlessly expanded. They should be inscribed with an assumed name, the class in which they are presented, and accompanied by a sealed envelope giving the real name and address of the competitor. If the competitor is in Class B, the sealed envelope should contain the name of the institution in which he is studying. The papers should be sent before June 1, 1909, to J. Lawrence Laughlin, University of Chicago.

The Messrs. Mallinckrodt, of St. Louis, have offered the sum of $500 for the year 1909-10 to a student of chemistry in either the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences or the Graduate School of Applied Science, on condition that he serve in the Mallinckrodt Chemical Works during the year 1910-11 at a suitable salary. A candidate for the prize must have taken at least Chemistry 5, 6, 9, and 10, and must take or have taken Chemistry 11. Preference will be given to a man wishing a broad, theoretical training in research as a foundation for the subsequent practice of technical chemistry. Only students of unusual ability will be considered. The award of the prize is made on the recommendation of the Faculty of the Department of Chemistry. Applications should be made before March 31 to Professor T. W. Richards, Chairman of the Division of Chemistry.