THE TRACK COACHES.

The news that the present track coaches have been engaged for two more years is certainly welcome. As it has been so often proved, a permanent system is one of the most essential factors to success in athletics, and in a branch of sport in which Harvard is comparatively weak at present, such permanence is particularly desirable. Coach Quinn showed his ability last spring when the majority of points in the field events was won against Yale for the first time since 1902. He has developed from new material men who can be counted on to make a decidedly creditable showing. This is Coach Donovan's first year with the team, but he has already demonstrated his worth. He is one of the best trainers in the country and knows how to give the men technical instruction in running.

Although the coaches are working their hardest to turn out a winning team, the chances do not look particularly bright just at present. About every day we are met with the news that another prominent track athlete has considered his responsibilities so lightly that he has gone on probation, and apparently there are very few suitable second string men. The men who are ineligible should be sure to get off probation in April, and the others should give the coaches a fair chance to develop them by going to practice every day.